Walk Tacoma 2020
Free 1 – 2 mile walks led by local experts. Pre-register online or join us at the start to sign in! Each walk features a children’s activity provided by the Children’s Museum of Tacoma and American Sign Language Interpretation.
April 1 – The History Behind the Names Walk
12 – 1 p.m.
Wright Park by the Lion Sculptures
Guides: Melissa McGinnis, Connie Terry, and Megan Sukys
May 6 – State of Black Tacoma Walk
5:15 – 6:30 p.m.
People’s Community Center (1602 MLK Jr. Way)
Guide: T’wina Nobles
June 3 – Tacoma’s Musical History Walk
12 – 1 p.m. / 5:15 – 6:30 p.m.
Fireman’s Park (Pacific Ave & S. 7th)
Guide: Kim Davenport
July 1 – TBD
5:15 – 6:30 p.m.
August 5 – Scavenger Hunt
4:30 – 7 p.m.
What are Walking Wednesdays?
Walking Wednesdays promote walking for transportation, health, and community well-being. They can be whatever you want them to be!
Who can participate?
Businesses, organizations, schools, clubs, individuals
What do I do?
The possibilities are endless! Here are a few ideas. Whatever you do, feel free to download and use the Walking Wednesday logo and connect via social media (#walkingwednesday).
- Promote and attend a Downtown On the Go Walk Tacoma event (1st Wednesday of the month April – Sept)
- Host a walk at work at lunchtime
- Hold a walking meeting on Wednesday
- Identify a meeting point for a group walk to (or from) work
- Provide an incentive for walking to work
- Add a walking article to your employee newsletter or bulletin board
We thought it had a nice ring! And we know we’re not the first to use it but we’re hoping you’ll help us spread the word and expand the effort.
- You’ll be part of a larger movement that helps our community become healthier and more walkable
- Your event will be posted on the Transportation Choices Coalition Calendar
- Your event will be publicized by DOTG and TCC via Twitter and Facebook