Free 1 – 2 mile walks led by local experts. Pre-register online or join us at the start to sign in! Each walk features a children’s activity provided by the Children’s Museum of Tacoma.
April 4 – Walk Kick Off
May 2 – Tacoma’s Japantown
Jun 6 – Tacoma 100 Years Ago
Jul 11- Tacoma Sports History
Aug 1 – Scavenger Hunt
Sept 21- Park(ing) Day Walk
Walk Sponsors: Metro Parks Tacoma, Spaceworks Tacoma, Pierce Transit, Commencement Bank, KPG, BCRA, BIA
Series Sponsors: Puyallup Watershed Initiative and MultiCare Health System
What are Walking Wednesdays?
Walking Wednesdays promote walking for transportation, health, and community well-being. They can be whatever you want them to be!
Who can participate?
Businesses, organizations, schools, clubs, individuals
What do I do?
The possibilities are endless! Here are a few ideas. Whatever you do, feel free to download and use the Walking Wednesday logo and connect via social media (#walkingwednesday).
- Promote and attend a Downtown On the Go Walk Tacoma event (1st Wednesday of the month April – Sept)
- Host a walk at work at lunchtime
- Hold a walking meeting on Wednesday
- Identify a meeting point for a group walk to (or from) work
- Provide an incentive for walking to work
- Add a walking article to your employee newsletter or bulletin board
We thought it had a nice ring! And we know we’re not the first to use it but we’re hoping you’ll help us spread the word and expand the effort.
- You’ll be part of a larger movement that helps our community become healthier and more walkable
- Your event will be posted on the Transportation Choices Coalition Calendar
- Your event will be publicized by DOTG and TCC via Twitter and Facebook
Additional Walking Resources
- American Heart Association – Walking Page
- TPCHD Walking Guide
- City of Tacoma’s Pedestrian Crossing Improvements